Snow and ice is changing due to climate change, having major impacts on society, the availability of freshwater resources, agriculture, transportation, safety and security, hydropower production, recreation, increasing the risk of floods and droughts, and affecting the viability of ecosystems. Creating resilience against worsening impacts of disasters and changing water availability is therefore urgently needed.
This event will answer the following questions:
- What is needed to really understand how the climate change impacts water resources and especially glaciers and snowcaps?
- How changing water availability from ice and snow will impact our societies?
- Could the Paris agreement with the target of limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees supported by climate financing save melting glaciers globally? How?
- Are there any other alternative water storage solutions?
- What is the importance of education and capacity building to support enhance monitoring of snow glacier and water resources in different region globally and how we can make our societies resilient to climate change impacts?
Run of the show
Introduction to the side event
Mr. Gilbert F. Houngbo, Chair of UN-WATER (TBC)
Moderator: Johannes Cullmann WMO
Opening remarks by co-organizers
Mr. Anil Mishra, Chief of Section
Intergovernmental Hydrological Programme (IHP), Division of Water Sciences, UNESCO
Discussion with audience
Summary and conclusion
Johannes Cullmann, WMO
Dr. Johannes Cullmann
WMO, Director, Water and Cryosphere
Mr. Gilbert Houngbo
Chair, UN-Water; and President, IFAD
Mr. Anil Mishra
Chief of Section Intergovernmental Hydrological Programme (IHP), Division of Water Sciences, UNESCO
Mr. John Pomeroy
Director, Global Water Futures Programme
H.E. Mr. Bahodur Sheralizoda
Chairman of the Committee on Environmental Protection under the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan
Ms. Shamila Nair-Bedouelle
Assistant Director General for Natural Sciences, UNESCO
H.E. Mr. Petteri Taalas
the Secretary-General of WMO
Mr. Gino Casassa
Director of the Glaciology and Snow Unit, of the Ministry of Public Works (MOP), Chile
Mountain Research Initiative (MRI)
Mr. Muzaffar Shodmonov
Committee on Environmental Protection under the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan
Mr. Pema Gyamtsho
Director General of The International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD)
Mr. Daniel Maselli
Senior Policy Advisor and Focal Point Climate Change & Environment, Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, Switzerland